up2date

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 00:05:18 UTC 2006

On 1/28/06, John Summerfied <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Does yum do unattended downloads without installing? Think a cronjob
> Does yum get source for a package?

yumdownloader in the yum-utils package in extras.

Depending on the repository you may need additional repository
configuration to get source packages. It depends on how repositories
encode their repodata when the create the repo structure. Some repos
provide seperate repodata for srpm trees... while others provide the
srpm information in the same repodata as the normal binary package
tree.

> Yum has some great conveniences too, but I find those it lacks overwhelming.

You have 2 choices.. you can continue to complain pointlessly or you
can start working on yum plugins to extend yum to add what you feel is
lacking.  Denying the reality of the situation and continuing to rely
on up2date for fedora installs I find is symptomatic of an impending
psychotic break in many cases.

-jef"secretly still uses 'grab' for package management on one system..
but has found a support group and is working through his
addiction"spaleta