Strangeness with recent FC5 update

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jul 11 22:00:37 UTC 2006

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 07:06:27AM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>
>>> See bug 197906.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>

>> Does yum update work differently than rpm -Uvh does?
>>

> 'yum' is using rpm to do install/remove/update packages but yum
> works in stages while 'rpm -Uvh', or 'yum -Fvh' which actually
> should be used here, in some sense is "atomic" and that is
> different.
>
> When problems occur this is because for reasons yet unknown, I
> think,  yum decided to erase first an old version of a package (at
> this step all these .rpmsave renames happen) followed by an update.
> You should see instead an update step followed by a cleanup.

Thanks! I checked my system for any rpmsave files and none were found.
There are a few rpmnew files for repositories, unrelated of course.

I will hold back on graciously running yum -y update for test phases
then or pay closer attention to the output before the transaction gets
too far along.
> I noticed something of that sort in some moment a while ago but this
> was not for anything crucial and I could not reproduce that at all
> and I put that to some my test system weirdness.
>
> BTW - if you failed to pay attention to yum warnings (you really
> should pay close attention to such things) and did not revert
> "manually" clearly bad renames then you still should be able to
> reboot in a single use mode and fix that.  A rescue boot should not
> be really required.
>
>    Michal

Jim

--
They're only trying to make me LOOK paranoid!