Fedora Test Project

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Fri Jun 9 21:02:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 12:19 -0700, Miles Lane wrote:
> When I worked at Microsoft, I ran stress and functionality test suites
> every night on new Windows NT builds.
> Is it possible for us to do something similar?  The WinNT test suites
> covered pretty much everything, file systems, memory, video, I/O,
> network, printing, desktop functionality, applications, process
> management, etc.

That's a pretty sweet test environment you described. I believe we will
eventually be able to set something a lot like that. Fedora is capable
of everything you talked about, and we already have tests that cover a
lot of the areas you mentioned. The test system is fully automated and
will (someday) mail its results off to us testers for further
examination.

Another nice thing: the tests are in nice little RPM packages, and those
test packages can be executed by any number of execution engines. So,
for example, when a test dies inside the Fedora Giant Test Robot, you'll
be able to download the test package and a helper package that executes
the tests, and (hopefully) reproduce the problem right on your own
desktop. Local debugging is even better than remote debugging!

Anyway, these are nice ideas, but the first thing we need to do is get
some source and tests out, and try to set up a lab. I'm hoping we can do
that very soon.

-w