kde 3.5.3: well done!!

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Tue Jun 20 16:29:14 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 08:29, "Gianluca Cecchi" <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Only tested for one day, but startup time has passed form 19 secs to
> 13 secs and responsiveness inside the DE is much more aggressive than
> 3.5.2!
> Well done, kde guys and fedora guys!!!
> But why doesn't fedora switch to kde finally? Or at least neither was
> kde evaluated as a possible default DE for fedora core 6 cycle review?
> I think it should happen a serious comparison between available
> opportunities at least at first stages after fc5 release and before
> fc6 work...
> but probably rh developers are much more involved with gnome core too,
> are they? Otherwise I don't see other valid reasons to discard apriori
> kde as default DE.
> Would it be at least choosable as the default DE during installation of
> fc6...?

A significant investment has already been put into GNOME, and it remains the
preferred desktop environment for Fedora Core.  Everyone has a different
opinion about desktop environments, and there are many Fedora users,
including myself, who prefer KDE, but it is not a clear majority.  GNOME will
remain the default environment for Fedora Core, and KDE will continue to be
an install-time option.  Through Fedora Core 6, KDE will remain in Fedora
Core.  We're hoping to move it to Extras for Fedora Core 7.  Once there, we
hope to make it available on a separate disc so that users may choose whether
to download GNOME or KDE and can choose either one by taking advantage of
planned improvements in Anaconda, the Fedora Core installer.  We hope that
KDE will see better care in Extras, where the community can more easily work
on it, than it currently gets in Core.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KDE
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnleashKDE
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SIGs/KDE