New system-config-printer

David david.jamison1 at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 23 21:15:09 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:

>On Wednesday 28 June 2006 21:08, Thomas Canniot wrote:
>

>>I'm translating system-config-printer and I think that some strings can
>>be improved.
>>
>>For example, I had a lot of difficulties to translate the strings
>>"Banner", "Starting Banner" and "Ending Banner". In fact, it seems that
>>banner is not properly used here according to my Collins Cobuild
>>Dictionnary.
>>
>>However, I don't have an alternative to suggest.
>>

>'Banner' is the name that has been used for many years to describe the pages
>printed before and after a print job in a multi-user environment.  I think it
>is about 20 years since I first heard it used in that way.
>
>Anne

Yes I agree with your description of Banner.  As far as I remember this
was a throughback to the days of massive line flow print jobs where
banner pages identified information about the print job that followed -
this could amount to many hundreds or even thousands of pages.  This was
relevant when one printer was hsared between many users but I dont ever
recall having found a use for it on A4 print jobs so maybe it could now
be deleted????

Ah the memories come flooding back!!!