rawhide report: 20060629 changes (kernel-2.6.17-1.2328.fc6doesn't boot)

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 21:09:29 UTC 2006

On 6/29/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 29 June 2006 15:50, Jim Bevier wrote:
> > Well switching over to the "new spec file" causes all the 3rd party module
> > build scripts to fail. The say "kernel configuration not valid - run 'make
> > prepare' in /usr/src/kernels/2.6.17-1.2328.fc6-x86_64 to update it." Are
> > you going back to the old way or are going to have to fix all the builds?
> > I vote for the old way! Using "_FC6" is fine with me. There errors so
> > far are for mvidia, vmware, ntfs, and spca5xx modules.
>
> What are they checking to figure this out?
>
> --
> Jesse Keating
> Release Engineer: Fedora

Could this be coming from source/Makefile:
# If .config is newer than include/config/auto.conf, someone tinkered
# with it and forgot to run make oldconfig.
# if auto.conf.cmd is missing then we are probably in a cleaned tree so
# we execute the config step to be sure to catch updated Kconfig files
include/config/auto.conf: $(KCONFIG_CONFIG) include/config/auto.conf.cmd
ifeq ($(KBUILD_EXTMOD),)
        $(Q)$(MAKE) -f $(srctree)/Makefile silentoldconfig
else
        $(error kernel configuration not valid - run 'make prepare' in
$(srctree) to update it)
endif

tom
--