Firewall settings

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 2 08:57:45 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> George Hill wrote:
>>
>>> When you enable a firewall using
>>> system-config-securitylevel and open <Trusted
>>> Services> and/or <Other Ports>, when you disable the
>>> firewall and re-enable it the settings that you
>>> previously specified are lost. I do not believe that
>>> this behavior is desirable: I think it would be better
>>> for the settings to be saved. That way you could turn
>>> off the firewall for testing and turn it back on
>>> without having to respecify the ports that you want
>>> open. Thoughts?
>>
> Ignore my earlier mail. I misread what you said. I agree that settings
> should be retained when disabled. File a bug report.

I agree that the previous values should be kept. It might make more
sense for the enabled/disabled settings to be configure / clear firewall
configuration.
But then provide text indicating current service iptables status, and
add an additional button(s) as the enable / disable firewall service
button (which could steal code from the system-config-services).

Currently there is no indication in system-config-security that while
the firewall is configured it is not actually started ! [ie a place for
people to get *networkingly* done over].