Cinema Display 30 and Radeon 9600

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Mar 2 16:43:10 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-03 at 20:05 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Scott wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 1, 2006, at 6:33 PM, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> >
> >> You need to use proprietary drivers with the 30" flat panels from  Apple
> >> or Dell to get it working as one would expect.  That probably wont
> >> change much until the video hardware vendors wake up and start
> >> supporting OSS again.
> >
> > Does this confirm my suspicion that the xorg radeon driver does not
> > support dual link dvi mode that is required to drive these displays?
> > Just kind of curious if it's actually been looked at and I'm sure you
> > would know. :)
>
> To the best of my knowledge, the only driver that supports this is
> Nvidia's proprietary driver.  I don't know if ATI's fglrx driver
> supports it or not, but someone else might be able to comment.
>
> >> Maybe Intel or someone will come to the rescue with new hardware in
> >> the future, and solving the modesetting problems in the OSS Intel
> >> driver currently.
> >
> > One could only hope. I'm more than a bit disapointed at the current
> > state of video hardware support in Linux myself. It seems that the  only
> > real solution for fast 3D or MPEG HW decoding is vendor  proprietary
> > nvida or ati drivers. When I purchased this display I  knew there would
> > be a real chance of being forced into a proprietary  driver and I
> > deliberately made the choice to go with ATI based on the  current r300
> > work and the past support ATI has given OSS.
>
> Yes, it is quite upsetting and frustrating to many users, and also to
> developers.

I guess I missed that, I gave up on ATI after trying for a long time
to get my Radeon AIW 8500D to work properly. I recently poked it into
box I temporarily was dual booting, and it worked fine.

I suppose ATI woke smelled the coffee, but has just rolled over and
gone back to sleep. And I was almost ready to give them another go,
I guess I will just stick with the Nvidia, at least they are
consistent.