rawhide report: 20060304 changes

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Sun Mar 5 00:27:23 UTC 2006

Christopher Aillon wrote:
> On 03/04/2006 04:20 AM, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> What?
>>>
>>> Fix the toplevel Makefile.am to install the pkgconfig file to $datadir
>>> instead of libdir:
>>>
>>> -pkgconfigdir = $(libdir)/pkgconfig
>>> +pkgconfigdir = $(datadir)/pkgconfig
>>>
>>> That's what other noarch packages do.
>>>

>>> Alternatively, fix your spec to use
>>>
>>> %configure --libdir=%_datadir
>>> %_datadir/share/pkgconfig/*.pc
>>

>> For now, the important thing is that FC5 is in a state that everything
>> builds, and is ready for final release.  Minor trivia like this is not
>> mission critical to the release of the OS.
>>
>> Feel free to submit a patch to X.Org to do this, so it is fixed in
>> the future.
>>

> Actually, it's more important that things are in a state where upgrading
> works sanely.  Changing from noarch -> arch-specific -> noarch typically
> breaks upgrading.

That was the case in the past, when the tools did not support the
architecture changing with the package name staying the same.  My
understanding is that yum has supported this for a long time now,
and that up2date and other tools also support it.  I've certainly
had no upgrade problems while testing any arch -> noarch -> arch
updates anyway, and haven't had any bug reports.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.