Cursor tracking in thunderbird/firefox?

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Sun Mar 5 04:33:00 UTC 2006

Ben Steeves wrote:
> On 3/3/06, D Canfield <canfield at uindy.edu> wrote:
>
>> I don't want to be the kind of guy that harps on his "favorite" bugs,
>> but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to believe that the cursor
>> tracking that is broken in both the thunderbird editor and the firefox
>> textarea has not been fixed this close to release.  Is it really not
>> driving anyone else totally insane, or is it just a handful of us who
>> are experiencing it?  There is an open bug in bugzilla about the
>> thunderbird issue, and I would expect the two are related.  I don't know
>> if the editor is mozilla specific or a gtk thing, but I've not noticed
>> the issue in any other gtk apps, and the issue doesn't exist on
>> Windows.  Yet, it still occurs with a fresh download from mozilla.com.
>> Anyone know what's going on with this?
>>

> It might be more helpful if you were to point to the bugzilla entry or
> describe the behavior more completely, 'cos I for one am not sure what
> "cursor tracking" means.
>
> --
>  _  Ben Steeves                                    bcs at metacon.ca
> ( ) The ASCII ribbon campaign                  ben.steeves at unb.ca
>  X     against HTML e-mail                     GPG ID: 0xB3EBF1D9
> / \ http://www.metacon.ca/ascii      Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves

Bug  177436.   Put a cursor in the middle of a line of text in the
middle of a paragraph, and then press the up or down arrow.  The cursor
will jump to the beginning or end of the next/previous line, rather than
remaining in the middle of the line of text like every other application
on the system does.  This only happens on mozilla apps, but not under
windows.  Can't currently  confirm it on other linuxes.