X Window System or development libraries not found

Justin Conover justin.conover at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 14:59:08 UTC 2006

On 3/5/06, VnPenguin <vnpenguin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to build icewm 1.2.25 (from tarball) on my FC5t3 box. Just
> run ./configure and I have an error about Xorg devel package:

> checking for gettimeofday... yes
> checking for putenv... yes
> checking for select... yes
> checking for socket... yes
> checking for strtol... yes
> checking for strtoul... yes
> checking for basename... yes
> checking for sysctlbyname... no
> checking sys/select.h usability... yes
> checking sys/select.h presence... yes
> checking for sys/select.h... yes
> checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
> checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
> checking for sys/socket.h... yes
> checking types of arguments for select... int,fd_set *,struct timeval *
> checking for getloadavg... yes
> checking for kern.cp_time... no
> checking for X... no
> configure: error: X Window System or development libraries not found.
> Make sure you have headers and libraries installed!
>
> I installed xorg-x11-proto-devel.
>
> I think that FC5 has changed something related to /usr/X11R6 & /usr
> for all X header file/library,... but I don't how to fix it.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> --
> http://vnoss.org
> Vietnamese Open Source Software Community
>
> --

checking types of arguments for select... int,fd_set *,struct timeval *
checking for getloadavg... yes
checking for kern.cp_time... no
checking for X... libraries /usr/lib64, headers in standard search path
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking langinfo.h usability... yes
checking langinfo.h presence... yes

yum provides /usr/lib64/libX11.so

yum info libX11-devel
Setting up repositories
xgl                                                                  [1/4]
extras-development                                                   [2/4]
development                                                          [3/4]
freshrpms                                                            [4/4]
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Installed Packages
Name   : libX11-devel
Arch   : x86_64
Version: 1.0.0
Release: 3
Size   : 769 k
Repo   : installed

 X.Org X11 libX11 development package

My guess, is this is what you need, easiest way to get it all

yum groupinstall "X Software Development"      (with quotes)

 yum groupinfo "X Software Development"
Setting up Group Process
Setting up repositories
xgl                                                                  [1/4]
extras-development                                                   [2/4]
development                                                          [3/4]
freshrpms                                                            [4/4]

Group: X Software Development
Window System.
 Mandatory Packages:
   libX11-devel
   libXaw-devel
   libICE-devel
   libXt-devel
   libXfixes-devel
 Default Packages:
   mesa-libGL-devel
   freetype-devel
   libXres-devel
   libXxf86vm-devel
   libXxf86dga-devel
   libXmu-devel
   libungif-devel
   libXevie-devel
   libXrender-devel
   libXext-devel
   libXtst-devel
   libmng-devel
   libXvMC-devel
   libXfontcache-devel
   libXfont-devel
   libtiff-devel
   SDL-devel
   libSM-devel
   libXau-devel
   libXScrnSaver-devel
   gd-devel
   libXxf86misc-devel
   libXft-devel
   libXdamage-devel
   libXrandr-devel
   xorg-x11-xtrans-devel
   libXTrap-devel
   Xaw3d-devel
   libjpeg-devel
   libXdmcp-devel
   xrestop
   libXcomposite-devel
   libXcursor-devel
   netpbm-devel
   libpng-devel
   libdrm-devel
 Optional Packages:
   xorg-x11-xbitmaps
   mesa-libGLw-devel
   openmotif-devel
   icon-naming-utils
   mesa-libGLU-devel
   icon-slicer
   xorg-x11-server-sdk
   libXp-devel

The last 8 are optional which means they wont get installed with yum
groupinstall and you could install them later, if needed.