X Window System or development libraries not found

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Mon Mar 6 00:13:53 UTC 2006

VnPenguin wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to build icewm 1.2.25 (from tarball) on my FC5t3 box. Just
> run ./configure and I have an error about Xorg devel package:

> checking for gettimeofday... yes
> checking for putenv... yes
> checking for select... yes
> checking for socket... yes
> checking for strtol... yes
> checking for strtoul... yes
> checking for basename... yes
> checking for sysctlbyname... no
> checking sys/select.h usability... yes
> checking sys/select.h presence... yes
> checking for sys/select.h... yes
> checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
> checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
> checking for sys/socket.h... yes
> checking types of arguments for select... int,fd_set *,struct timeval *
> checking for getloadavg... yes
> checking for kern.cp_time... no
> checking for X... no
> configure: error: X Window System or development libraries not found.
> Make sure you have headers and libraries installed!
>
> I installed xorg-x11-proto-devel.
>
> I think that FC5 has changed something related to /usr/X11R6 & /usr
> for all X header file/library,... but I don't how to fix it.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

In X11R6 and earlier, all of the X development stuff was kept in a
single package, however in X11R7, each library is in its own individual
rpm package, with its own separate -devel subpackage.

When building software, you need to know exactly which individual X
libraries the software needs, and install the devel package for each
individual X library.

Additionally, X11R6 resided in /usr/X11R6, whereas X11R7 resides
directly in /usr.  Any software that hard codes X development files,
libraries, binaries, etc. under /usr/X11R6 will need to be ported to
work with X11R7.  The smart way to do that is to dynamically determine
where individual binaries/files are located.  Slightly less reliable
than that is to hard code multiple static locations to check and fall
back.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.