Reported bugs -- yes they were

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Mar 11 14:42:20 UTC 2006

> On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 13:46 -0800, Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> > As for being able to shutdown from any account. It says that Core5 cannot be used as a server and also have another guest user who could issue that command.
> > I should not have to modify the halt / shutdown / reboot stuff to add security. If I want a guest end user to do a shutdown,
>
> Can you tell me exactly how a non-root user can initiate a shutdown?
> Aside from say the gnome shutdown menu...

The _console_ user can do a shutdown from the gnome Desktop menu.

Same applies for anyone with physical access to the console even if the
user is not logged in. (As long as no one is logged in on the console
with the screen locked.)  The option is on the console login screen.

This is part of why the stress on security _includes_ physical access
limitations.