why do I have battery, button and ac modules loaded on a desktop machine?

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 02:29:52 UTC 2006

On 3/12/06, n0dalus <n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/12/06, John Summerfied <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> > > I mean, isn't there some way that "hal", or anaconda, can figure out
> > > whether I am a laptop or a desktop machine and setup the services and
> > > modules appropriately?
> > >

> > Probably not reliably. What of a desktop based on a mobo running a
> > Pentium M? I've heard of such.
> >

> Can't it just check for the presence of a battery?

My desktop has a UPS.  That's a battery; shows up as one, too.  I
guess it is distinguishable, though, as it shows up as a UPS.  A
battery would probably be the best idicator of whether something is a
laptop or desktop.  I cannot come up with any other way to distinguish
them (from the inside...).

Jonathan