kernel 2054 is really broke!

Jim Bevier jim at jbsys.com
Wed Mar 15 20:58:04 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Nottingham" <notting at redhat.com>
To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases"
<fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: kernel 2054 is really broke!

> Jim Bevier (jim at jbsys.com) said:
>> For starters, it no longer finds my ethernet.  Marvell 88E8001 gigabit
>> controller (skge module). None of the vfat file systems are mounted.
>> There
>> seems to be lots of modules missing.  If I do an lsmod, there are only 7
>> modules shown.  I used to have lots.  The system is x86_64.  Kernel 2045
>> worked great.  Thre is not much information in dmesg or messages files.
>> Something is breaking very early in the boot process.  Anyone have any
>> ideas about where to start with this?
>
> Check for SELinux errors (either with dmesg or autrace).

Selinux is disabled on this system.

> Check that the modules are actually under /lib/modules/$(uname -r).

All modules seem to be there and accounted for.

> Check for udev error messages.

There were no udev errors.  Only errors were not able to load ntfs module
and parport module.

> Check for errors when you installed the kernel - was depmod run correctly?
> Does re-running it fix it?

Restarting the system gave the the same results several times.  There were
no errors when I installed the kernel or kernel-devel.  All the modules I
built, build OK except the nvidia module, which gets an error for missing
symbol on depmod.

I booted back to 2045 and removed kernel 2054 and kernel-devel  2054 using
yum.  I then installed again using yum.  Again no errors and the rpms were
not downloaded again.  Yum used the ones from the cache.

When I rebooted the system to 2054, all worked OK???????  The only problem I
have is the nvidia driver failure.  I looked everywhere for a clue about
what was wrong, but I did not find anything.  It must be some drunken
Leprechaun running around in the system!?!?!  Sorry for the false error :-(.

Jim