Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 03:40:59 UTC 2006

On 3/15/06, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:11:26PM -0600, Jonathan Berry wrote:
[snip]
>  > EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(print_tainted);
>  > Looks like the symbol is there and exported.  Granted, I'm not an that
>  > knowledgeable about such things, but that looks okay to me.  Anyone
>  > have any ideas what is going on here?

Thanks for the response, Dave.

> An oversight on my part.
> print_tainted is used in the spinlock macros, so essentially,
> the macro is made GPL-only too.  I've reverted that change

So, just curious, what does that mean?  The symbol can only be seen by GPL code?

> in cvs, but it's too late for the final FC5 image, which is
> already being pushed out to mirrors.
>
> It'll be fixed in the very first update kernel for FC5, which
> will likely be within the first few days of release.

Oh, that's just lovely.  Trying to keep us on our toes, huh? ; )  Oh
well.  This should probably be put in the release notes so maybe it
won't bite too many right off (or at least we'll have an excuse...).

For the future: How much testing did this kernel get?  Looks like it
came out in the March 15 (today...) build, and it is already in the
images?  That doesn't seem like a particularly ideal situation.
Especially being still a good while before the release.

If the images are already made up, is there a reason they won't be
available (anywhere?) before Monday?  Is it just anti-climactic, or
what? : )  Though, I seem to recall hearing rumors of FC4 images being
leaked out early in some places.  Seems something like an early
release via Bittorrent only wouldn't hurt anything (it's supposed to
be good for distributing large files, right?).  Just thinking out loud
mostly, I guess.

Jonathan