Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

Justin Conover justin.conover at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 12:08:17 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/16/06, Justin Conover <justin.conover at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/15/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  On 3/16/06, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > An oversight on my part.
> > > print_tainted is used in the spinlock macros, so essentially,
> > > the macro is made GPL-only too.  I've reverted that change
> > > in cvs, but it's too late for the final FC5 image, which is
> > > already being pushed out to mirrors.
> > >
> > > It'll be fixed in the very first update kernel for FC5, which
> > > will likely be within the first few days of release.
> > >
> > >                 Dave
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Ohhhh! Gasp!!!!
> > Not again?!?!?
> >
> > Dave,
> >
> > This is beyond *bad*.
> > This effectively kills each and every non-GPL kernel module out there.
> > Instead of having a fun release-day, we'll be playing catch-up with
> > numerous "Fedora-5-ate-my-baby" threads.
> >
> > There's got to be a way to fix it. Either by stopping the
> > ISO-mastering or changing the release-notes to acknowledge the problem
> > and pushing a new kernel ASAP.
> >
> > Gilboa
> >
> > Sounds to me like everything is fine, there will be an updated kernel
> after
> > the release.
>
> White you are right in theory, things don't work that way in real life.
> It'll be something like this:
> A. User downloads FC5.
> B. User unaware of the problem.
> C. User install Fedora.
> D. User, not being forced to install updates, (and being unaware of
> the problem) doesn't install the fixed kernel.
> E. User tries to install nVidia/ATI/etc driver.
> F. Fedora user hits the Forums/ML/etc claiming Fedora ate his baby.
>
> I understand that it's too late to stop the ISO mastering/upload/etc;
> FC must do it's best to air out the problem before 10,000 people hit
> the forum with the same complaint.
>
> Cheers,
> Gilboa
>
> --

There has also been versions of RH/FC that were released with new kernel
features that also broke the closed source drivers from nvdia/ati and the
communtiy had to wait for nvidia/ati to fix there stuff.  Which btw wouldn't
have happened if they were open (in this case GPL  ;0) so the community
could improve the drivers.