Nvidia SATA hangups with newer FC5 test kernel

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 00:12:22 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, Calvin Dodge <caldodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/16/06, Jonathan Berry <berryja at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/16/06, Calvin Dodge <caldodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > First, an Emachines system with the ATI chipset (this machine is some
> > > distance away today, so I can't give you more info).
> >
> > Gag.  ATI X200 chipset or similar?  That one seems to be pervasive in
> > the name-brand sector for some reason.  Yes, I have seen those
>
> Yep, that's the one.  I expect it's used for the same reason Via
> chipsets are used - cheapness.

Probably.  *sigh*

> > PCI-X?  Then this is a server class board and different from my
> > desktop class nForce4.  I guess I can't help you much, then.
>
> Nope, just higher-level consumer class. 3 PCI slots, and 3 PCI-X (plus
> the video PCI-X).  We ran out of PCI slots (SCSI, TV Tuner, video (FC4
> doesn't support the PCI-X card we originally installed)), and needed a
> 2nd NIC.

Hmm, perhaps you mean PCI-e, that is, PCI-Express?  PCI-X is something
different.  I know, it's confusing : ).  I don't know of any PCI-X
graphics cards.  Either way, I don't know why you are having problems.
 Of course, even the same chipset motherboard can have different
components on it.  Mine is an nForce4 SLI board from Gigabyte.  Could
you try running without the extra NIC to see if it still locks up?
Sounds like some sort of driver issue as best I can figure.  You can
get subtle errors going from 32- to 64-bit sometimes.

Jonathan