rawhide report: 20060522 changes

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed May 24 15:13:39 UTC 2006

On 5/24/06, Bernardo Innocenti <bernie at develer.com> wrote:
> Build System wrote:
>
> > glibc-2.4.90-9
> > --------------
> > * Sun May 21 2006 Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat.com> 2.4.90-9
> > - update from CVS
> >   - big NIS+ changes
>
> Maybe I'm just ignorant about the field, but is any RedHat/Fedora
> user still using NIS+ instead of LDAP in corporate environments?
>
> I wonder whether NIS, NIS+, Hesiod and DB support in glibc could
> be dropped altogether to reduce the size of Core and simplify
> dependencies.
>
> Maybe those NSS modules could just be splitted out and moved
> to Extras?

Sadly, NIS is still a product of choice for a lot of environments (as
ugly and insecure as it is). I dont think I have ever seen a NIS+
environment at any of the organizations I have worked at.. but that
was mainly due to the 'closed' nature of it. The main reason for NIS
to be used is that it really only takes 2-3 files, a couple of little
edits, and poof you have it working. I am just starting to look at
Fedora Directory Server and it looks like it will take a LOT more work
than that to get it working (or even getting a small LDAP service that
would duplicate the 3 things most people use NIS for: user accounts,
centralized passwords, and email aliases)

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator