Reading boot messages on the fly

Remmelt Dirk dirk.remmelt at accenture.com
Sun Oct 1 17:43:51 UTC 2006

Jay Cliburn wrote:
> Kwan Lowe wrote:
> > You may also consider booting with an alternate method and
retrieving the
> > /var/log/boot.log files... (However, just peeking at mine, it
appears mine are 0
> > bytes ???? ).
> Mine are too.

/var/log/boot.log includes only local7 facility logs. Whatever uses
local7. The only one I've found is /sbin/dhclient-script.

Best choice for kernel messages would be /var/log/dmesg or the whole
/var/log/messages.

To view all kernel messages via the serial interface "kern.*
/dev/console" should be enabled in syslog.conf (which is disabled by
default) if this is an option (i.e. via rescue cd).

Dirk O. Remmelt
Accenture Services AG
phone:+41-44-405-3728
mailto:dirk.remmelt at accenture.com