FC Pre 6 test install

MIKE LURK mikelurk at rogers.com
Mon Oct 2 01:22:52 UTC 2006

This is for all of the nVidia proponents out there that are having trouble getting FC pre 6 installed with all the eye candy. This install was done using the DVD iso. It was a chore getting this to run as designed but it was well worth the effort. It's a bit long

1. Boot from DVD (naturally when you have a DVD from iso)
2. Choose the defaults for your keyboard, language and timezone.........
3. For the partitioning of the drive I left it with the defaults chosen. ( couldn't change anythingthing other wise it would error at trying to create a new partition, will try this again later to see if it was a hardware problem or if it was something to do with LVM).
4. Choose what you want to install and continue. (I know I skipped the network stuff and others as well but keeping in mind I am just using defaulta here. Later I will change a few things).
5.Finished the install. Remove DVD from drive and let it reboot.
6.On the First Boot screen, everything is shifted to the right so I can't see the next button. Then remembered in the mailing list about removing the rhgb from grub.
7. Removed rhgb from grub and booted to First Boot screens and chose what I needed. Continuing
8. Enter user name and password at the login screen.
9.1600x1200 resolution, Not good, beyond my monitors range, but still viewable. Downloading latest beta from nVidia's website. (following the readme, I went to the next step)
10. Installed driver and dependancies. (running the installer for the first time I found that I was missing  a few. Using yum I installed them, gcc and others. Finished the driver install.) Let the installer run the nVidia xconfigurator.
11.Reboot computer and login. 1280x1024, very good. Tried to get Desktop Effects ot run (Preferences>More Prefereces>Desktop Effects) failed.

Below you will see what my xorg.conf had to be for the Effects to work:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder3)  Thu Sep 14 15:50:24 PDT 2006

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "single head configuration"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "fbdevhw"
    Load           "glx"
    Load           "record"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    ModelName      "Samsung SyncMaster 910V/910M/913V"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
    Option         "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName      "nVidia Corporation GeForce 7600"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Voila, the Desktop Effects works, for me anyways (luckily I had a copy of my FC 5 xorg.conf handy. Compare the differences between FC 5 and FC pre 6 ).
There are many other issues with FC pre6. The hosts file has the loopback IP as ::1 when it should be 127.0.0.1 when using ipv4. The xorg nv driver does not recognize the proper resolution for the monitor( or maybe hal). The terminal window is just a white square. There are others as well. Glad to see you are delaying the release of FC6.

Ta Ta
Mike