Have reached a point where I feel p***ed

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Oct 6 02:53:03 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 22:37 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>>> Where's the bug for the broken text installer?  I'm pretty sure that 'linux
>>> video=vesa' still works too, to force the vesa driver, which according to the
>>> reporter does give some gui support.
>> I filed a bug report and referenced the text installer being out of
>> sync. I'll files a bug report regarding selecting the customizing
>> packages via the F2 key shows packages from the group different from the
>> highlighted main group. I figured that this problem could not have been
>> overlooked. Someone would report or catch this problem.
>
> This was filed and I fixed it up on Tuesday-ish I believe

Thanks for the info on the fix.

>> An option to help the many users trying to install Fedora with the GUI
>> would be to have a dialog box to allow selecting the "vesa" driver
>> instead of having the user search around for the video=vesa parameter
>> given to the installer.
>
> The problem is that for _most_ users, they're going to hit enter on
> their CD and go straight into graphical mode.  Adding a step to
> configure your video card here is entirely the wrong answer as it can't
> be done in a way that's internationalized across all of the locales that
> are to be supported.  Not to mention that text mode screens just look
> ugly to casual users :-)

I'd be one of the users hitting enter. I was trying to convey the dialog
type used to check the media. Sort of vesa or detected video choice.

> Post-FC6, I want to look at trying to use some of the more advanced
> syslinux menu'ing capabilities that are now present so that we can try
> to do a little more to lead people to things like this from the
> bootloader.  But, as always, it's a matter of tradeoffs and time as to
> what gets done versus left behind for any given release.

The better menu selection capability is something that I look forward to.
Also, my apologies for any insults regarding a not too far in the past
posting regarding developers/maintainers.

Jim

--
In 1880 the French captured Detroit but gave it back ... they couldn't
get parts.