rawhide report: 20060929 changes

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 17:28:01 UTC 2006

On 10/5/06, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:

> There exists this "jigdo", or "Jigsaw Download", project.
> http://www.atterer.net/jigdo/
> It allows to download "custom images".  It requires a support
> on a server side and I never really used it, so I cannot tell
> how it works in practice, but it sounds interesting.

Jigdo creates an ISO image from a description file and the contained
files.  It is handy when you already have all the files.  In the world
before bittorrent, it was easier to mirror a repository of packages
instead of the ISO.

Jigdo doesn't help with creating the ISO image.  mkisofs is still
needed for that.  It can help with distributing the image.

 - Ian