X MGA driver breakage (Re: Have reached a point where I feel p***ed)

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sat Oct 7 10:38:58 UTC 2006

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 10:37:38 +0100, Dariusz J. Garbowski wrote:

> Just wanted to add that I'm planning to update my G550 machine from FC3
> to FC6 some time in November. I hope to be able to run mga driver rather
> vesa...
>
> My point being: there are Fedora users with Matrox graphics cards out
> there. I'm one of them.

Someone has suggested that maybe the new driver requires much more Video
RAM for some stuff and that the failure may be related to that. It doesn't
explain why the driver doesn't fall back to a different video mode,
though. But:

The story continues in bug 203570, where I've confirmed that reducing
the resolution makes the driver work for a "more poor" video mode.

That's still serious regression compared with FC5 and older, but also
could be an indication that input from the developers (like trouble-
shooting suggestions or comments on what was added to the driver as
of v1.4.1) might have lead to a fix or automated work-around.