Thinkpad X31 hangs with ACPI enabled

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Mon Oct 9 14:19:21 UTC 2006

Hiya

I've been seeing random total hangs on my X31 for some time now, typically
in the middle of some random use (so no recent suspend/resume or anything).
At one point it seemed to be related to some large pixmaps showing up
in X (as in, it crashed right after going to a graphics-heavy webpage or
using rdesktop). Someone suggested ensuring that radeon.ko/DRI isn't used,
so I disabled that.

It was fine for a while after that (2.6.17-1.2650:ish kernels), then the
hangs came back and are even more common than they were before, and are
still in the latest rawhide kernels)

acpi=off looks like reliable work-around, it's been rock-solid with that for
days. Anyone else seen anything similar or is it just me? It's a total
hang (interrupt-related?), so it's a bit hard to diagnose the
thing... But if we can find some sort of pattern on when this happens (there
are quite a few models, actually, this one has aironet wireless + latest
BIOS in it), maybe we can get to the bottom of this?