FC6 Test4 : Desktop effects could not be enabled

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Oct 13 20:45:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Laurent Trillaud wrote:

> oldman wrote:
>> Laurent Trillaud wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 with a GeForce 7900GS. The FC6 test4
>>> (pre-release) is full update on Oct 12.
>>> Kernel is 2.6.18.1-2759 and GeForce driver v1.0.9625 from NVidia.
>>>
>>> I can't start AIGLX Desktop effects. Instead I got "Desktop effects
>>> could not be enabled".
>>>
>>> Any idea?
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Laurent
>>>

>> 	You could try this, though I haven't tested it against the new .9625
>> driver, Livna bugzilla says that the new xorg does not set this
>> variable.  Anyway edit your xorg.conf's [ServerLayout] section to
>> include the entry:
>>
>>         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>>
>> You'll need to restart X after you've successfully saved this
>> (Ctrl-Alt-BSpace) then try enabling desktop-effects again.  You may have
>> to restart X again, assuming that you don't get that error again.  At
>> least that's what the install notes say!
>>
>> HTH
>> Scott
>>
> Thanks, but it doesn't work.
> I'am still fighting :
> - with with nvidia driver that don't compile without patch with new kernel.

The fix is pretty easy.  Go into /usr/src/kernel/<version>/include/linux
and symlink autoconf.h to config.h.

> - with configuring xorg.conf

Let the nvidia installer to that. Then go in and remove the entire modules
section.

> But, it's my choice, no problem for me.
> The problem, will be for regular users, that will download Fedora Core 6
> final release in few days to see the new desktop with AIGLX and where, at
> least for nvidia owner, will don't see only "Desktop effects could not be
> enabled".

If they can find it at all.  You have to know to load compiz and you have
to dig a little to find where to set it.

> I just hope that this great feature will be available for the mass.

And not prove to be un-pope-ular?

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink