Terrible display flickering after FC5 update today

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Wed Oct 25 21:14:37 UTC 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:02:48 -0700
Johannes Erdfelt <johannes at erdfelt.com> wrote:

> > Not sure what you mean by flickering, but with my radeon I have noticed
> > (much more often on FC6 test than FC5) that it sometimes acts like the dpms
> > monitor shut-down stuff gets triggered randomly every few seconds. It will
> > go through a really bad time, then it will stop happening for a while. Video
> > just keeps turning on and off. If I reboot enough, I'll eventually get
> > to a state where it no longer does it (until the next time I reboot :-).
>
> What monitor do you use?

It's kinda weird - I use a Westinghouse LVM-42w2 HD monitor, but I have both
FC5 and FC6 supposedly using the refresh rates it gets from the monitor
for the 1920x1080 display mode, so the fact that it is much more frequent
on FC6 (and I've never seen it happen on Windows) makes me think it is more
like a random bug of some kind than a refresh rate problem. (The monitor
will tell me if the signal is out of range, and it doesn't do that, it
just turns off).

It also shows some tendency to happen more frequently when running things like
opengl screensavers than when running a simple 2d desktop.

> You can also check the archives for past discussions.

I have poked around some in the past, but never saw anything that seemed
exactly like this. In any case, it doesn't bother me too much, since waiting
long enough eventually seems to make it stop happening, and I generally
leave this machine up all the time.