Impossible to eject dvd?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Sep 10 23:24:14 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 09:58:36PM +0300, Filip Tsachev wrote:

> When I inserted dvd+rw, it was mounted. I wanted to rewrite it with
> k3b. Tried using gnome-umount -u /dev/hdc, with no luck.

Why did you try '-u' and not '-v'?  Moreover 'gnome-umount --help'
suggests that the syntax above is wrong.  Well, this is only a guess
as there is no documentation.  'gnome-mount' and 'gnome-unmount' in
general are broken although not absolutely, and bug reports are
simply ignored, but in some circumstances that stuff can be used.

> Had to use umount
> /dev/hdc as root, because using it as an user produced the output:
> "it's not in fstab and you're not root".

If you will try to use 'umount' then in most cases you will
see precisely what you quoted.

> Guess I miss something about gnome-mount in the overall picture.

'gnome-mount' and 'mount' are not the same interface.

  Michal