Status of FC6 on Mac Pro?

Dave Maurer dcmaurer1 at cox.net
Mon Sep 18 20:58:48 UTC 2006

Pete Pinter <Pete.Pinter <at> TELUS.COM> writes:

> Greetings all,
>

> I've search the recent archives here and googled for an insight into FC6
support for the quad-xeon based Mac Pro, but came up dry.

> Can anyone clue me in as to current status, bootability and/or how I can help
with testing to move the markers forward?

> My attempt to boot FC6T2 x86_64 DVD seemed to get well into the EFI phase, but
subsequently blanked out (S-ATA issue?, dunno).

> Any/all insights or pointers greatly appreciated!
>

> Cheers,
>
> /p2

Hello,

I was successful in installing FC6 Test 2 x86_64 version installed on my Mac
Pro.  To get the installation working, do the following:

1.  Install Boot Camp and repartition drive
2.  Install rEFIt
3.  Install FC6 off of DVD with the command line options:

    linux irqpoll acpi=force

This resolves the issue seen with the Pioneer DVD Superdrive bundled with the
Mac Pros.

4.  Wipe out empty partition created by Boot Camp and put your own Linux
partition on the hard drive.  Install Fedora to normally to the partition.  Tell
Grub to install to the Linux partition instead of the MBR.

5.  After installation is complete, and _before_ you reboot your computer, drop
to the shell prompt and run fdisk /dev/sda.

6.  In fdisk, check the partition type listed for the partition you installed
Fedora to.  If it's listed as 0xef (EFI partition) change it back to type 0x82
(Linux partition).  Then exit fdisk.

7.  Now re-run grub-install to the MBR.  At this point, rEFIt protects the GPT,
so it's safe to install grub to the MBR.

    grub-install -b /dev/sda

8.  Reboot the machine.  After reboot, do not run the rEFIt partition sync
utility, as this will attempt to restore any Linux partitions back to EFI.

9.  If successful, upon reboot, the rEFIt boot menu will give you the choice of
booting to Mac OS X, or Linux, or your bootable DVD if it's in the drive.  If
you happen to see extra Legacy boot options, that's okay.