FC6 and laptop suspend/resume: should be a high priority bug

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Sat Sep 23 14:16:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:12:14 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:

> The last kernel on which my Dell D820 latitude would suspend & resume
> was 2.6.16.  For the last two months or so---all of th 2.6.17
> versions--have failed.  The systems suspend, but don't resume.
>
> There are plenty of reports like this in bugzilla.redhat.com.  My
> opinion is that FC6 should not be released as final until the problem
> is addressed.  What do you think?

Time flies...  The last Fedora kernel that suspend worked for me was
created in late March (kernel-2.6.15-1.2064_FC6).  This is not a Fedora
problem, per se, but a generic kernel problem.  I attempted a git bisect
of the kernel code, but bisected code resulted in non-compilable kernels
before I got very far.  2.6.16 works, 2.6.17 does not.

I have become used to suspend not working so I don't test it very often.
I was quite surprised when I tested suspend in late February that it
actually worked.  I was a bit bummed when it stopped, but I was not too
bothered by it (my work pattern avoids it because it didn't work).

I think the problem has to do with the SATA suspend/resume code.  My
notebook has a SATA controller which is connected to a PATA HD (Dell
Inspiron 6000).

With it looking like the SATA suspend/resume will be going into 2.6.19
very soon, hopefully this problem will finally be laid to rest.

	-Paul