ftp 421 errors when retrieving development files from download.fedora.redhat.com

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 25 22:56:36 UTC 2007

Hi,

After manually ftping stuff {13 files: rescue iso, pxe kernel, repodata,
stage2.img} from development last few weeks, I created a shell script
that did the same. I used urlgrabber to get the files I'm interested in
- see attach.

What I noticed was that some {4} downloads failed with python traceback eg:
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/urlgrabber", line 124, in ?
     main()
   File "/usr/bin/urlgrabber", line 120, in main
     filename = urlgrab(url,filename=file,**kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line
597, in urlgrab
     return default_grabber.urlgrab(url, filename, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line
927, in urlgrab
     return self._retry(opts, retryfunc, url, filename)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line
845, in _retry
     r = apply(func, (opts,) + args, {})
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line
913, in retryfunc
     fo = URLGrabberFileObject(url, filename, opts)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line
1001, in __init__
     self._do_open()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line
1068, in _do_open
     fo, hdr = self._make_request(req, opener)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line
1184, in _make_request
     raise URLGrabError(4, _('IOError: %s') % (e, ))
urlgrabber.grabber.URLGrabError: [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error]
421 There are too many connections from your internet address.

Now, in terms of this, the machine making the connection {and there
isn't any other machine powered on within my NATed IP address}, was
running just the script using urlgrabber, and it is used sequentially
{one download finishes before the next one starts}, rather than in parallel.

My guess is that the download site is taking a huge hit, which is fair
enough, but if that is the case, the message should be "too many
connected users" rather than ~" ... from your internet address".

Am I just doing something silly ? {other than not using an in country
mirror - which is often a few days late in it's content}

DaveT.