F7T4 DVD rescue mode question

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Fri Apr 27 23:39:30 UTC 2007

> I downloaded and burned the F7T4 x86_64 DVD iso ...

> My steps:
> 1.  Insert DVD
> 2.  Reboot
> 3.  At the first menu, select "Rescue installed system"
> 4.  Kernel boots
> 5.  "Choose a language"  (english)
> 6.  "Keyboard type" (us)
> 7.  "Rescue method"
> 	"What type of media contains the rescue image"
>
> Is the "rescue image" the image I just booted from DVD, or is it
> the image I'm trying to rescue on my hard drive?

The "rescue image" is on the install CD/DVD that you just booted.
The process is now general enough that you could have booted
from boot.iso, pxeboot, usb stick or other image, which contain
only enough to boot, and not enough to perform rescue operations.
In those cases you need to find the rest of the rescue software,
which might be on nfs, http, ftp, CD/DVD, harddisk, ...

> If it's the former (which seems counterintuitive), selecting "Local
> CDROM" at this point causes the DVD to eject.

Re-load the install CD/DVD, which contains everything needed for
rescue mode.  Rescue mode should proceed.  [You might have booted
a boot.iso CD-ROM in order to get a recent Linux kernel, but still
have the rescue software on another platter (which might be older,
for instance.)]

> If it's the latter, the program (Anaconda?) demands to know the
> location of a Fedora iso somewhere on my /dev/sda1 (/boot) or /dev/sda2
> (LVM /).
>
> This no longer seems to work like the rescue feature I'm accustomed
> to.

The ability to use an install CD/DVD for rescue mode is new.
The ability to use the rescue CD-ROM as an installer also is somewhat new.