sd, sd, who's got the sd - f7 work required before release!

Styma, Robert E (Robert) stymar at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Apr 30 15:02:55 UTC 2007

> names. With
> the drives

> instead. Then it
> hdc1, it's
> /fc6" it will

> will detect
> >> Will, you could have mentioned:
> >> 1. a command to set the label ?
> >> 2. whether an lvm label like LogVol01 or LogVolhome is the
> same as the
> >> label you are mentioning ?

So it appears the answers are as follows:
1.  /dev/sd* assignments are not easily predetermined.

2.  You are safe if you label every partition and always use partitions.

The critical issue to me was to avoid the situation where you add a new
drive
to an existing system and because of /dev/sd* assignments end up with a
non
bootable system.

The issue of how the device maps work in the /boot/grub/device.map and
how
the sd* values are mapped into (hd0) etc. throws another wrinkle into
the
mess.

Bob S
Phoenix, AZ