haldaemon is mad (was: Re: GNOME desktop confused by RAID-1 volume)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Wed Dec 5 12:46:50 UTC 2007

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 10:24:14 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Recently, I've noticed that after logging in, a RAID-1 volume is
> displayed two times. The same two hdd icons, the same Name, the same
> "Properties" are displayed.
>
> When I choose "Unmount Volume" via the context menu, the second icon
> stays on the desktop. All its details in the properties dialog change
> to "Volume: home", and indeed the details for my /home partition are
> displayed. The "Name" is wrong though, as it's still the size of the
> RAID-1 volume. When I want to unmount the volume (just as a test) I'm
> asked "Do you want to empty the trash before you umount?" and the
> dialog explains what that would yield. If I choose not to empty the
> trash and proceed, there is an error dialog "Cannot unmount volume -
> The volume is not mounted" (sure, it's /home). When I mount the RAID-1
> volume again, both desktop icons refer to it again.
>
> Some desktop component gets confused.

Additionally, hald now insists on mounting every available partition
whenever I log in via gdm. Some of the partitions it mounts twice,
creating orphaned desktop icons. I have yet to take some time and find out
why it does that and where it saves information about it. It even survives
a reboot and also happens when logging into an empty home directory. That
makes me think it saves some related data outside of $HOME. I cannot
reproduce it with fresh user accounts. It does that only for the user id,
which was active while I deleted a partition.