Latest updates broke my system (URGENT)

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Dec 12 22:27:35 UTC 2007

Antonio M wrote:
> After latest updates (including Xserver, kernel, selinux policyof my
> server, I set Selinux to enforced (immediately after updates) and I
> couldn't log in graphically, I get the message the login was too
> short, some errors in Xlof file saying that daemon hald (not sure
> about it, maybe some bus, I am not sitting at the computer now....) is
> not started
>
> How do I recover my server????

My first thought was somewhat similar to David's suggestion.

Rawhide is not for doing stuff that's important to oneself; if it
breaks, fixing it's your own problem, and it may be difficult and it may
be annoying, but it's not urgent.

It seems to me Antonio, that you ask rather a lot of questions. I don't
mind that so much, but I really think that you could resolve some of
these problems yourself.

You should read the relevant documentation; if (as is likely on rawhide)
the documentation doesn't relate directly to the version you're running,
use the latest you can find.

Ask google

Try things. Your rawhide system isn't important, so breaking it doesn't
matter.

Describe exactly what you did, what messages you see (cut and paste if
at all possible), and what you have tried.

Your question really is too vague for anyone to help except by a lucky
guess.

Read the three documents referenced in my sig.

Note:
In your question, you said, "I set Selinux to enforced "

Shrek-m said, "i use  'selinux=permissive.'"

You then ask, "how do I boot in permissive mode????"
Really!!

Nobody here's your slave. It's time you learned to make a decent effort
yourself, before asking such questions. I'm sure I've seen it in selinux
documents, in mailing lists and in other places.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait