info about ext2/3 resize tools' status on fc6

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 10:02:43 UTC 2007

I would like to online resize an LVM ext3 partition on my fc6 system.
What would I have to install and do? In the past I used ext2online and
e2fsadm on rh as 4, but it seems that both e2fsadm and ext2online are
missing on my fc6 system e2fsprogs package (I have
e2fsprogs-libs-1.39-7.fc6, e2fsprogs-devel-1.39-7.fc6,
e2fsprogs-1.39-7.fc6).

What is current status for ext2/3 resize tools (both online and
offline) for fc6? And eventually plans for fc7?

Reading man page for resize2fs it seems that in my case I could online
resize by 1Gb my /usr filesystem, that is ext3, using:

- lvextend /dev/rootvg/usrlv -L +1G
- resize2fs /dev/rootvg/usrlv

Can anyone confirm this?

Is documentation for resize2fs aligned with fc6 kernel? Currently it is:
       The resize2fs program will resize ext2 or ext3 file systems.  It can be
       used  to  enlarge or shrink an unmounted file system located on device.
       If the filesystem is mounted, it can be used to expand the size of  the
       mounted filesystem, assuming the kernel supports on-line resizing.  (As
       of this writing, the Linux  2.6  kernel  supports  on-line  resize  for
       filesystems mounted using ext3 only.).
[snip]
       The resize2fs program does not manipulate the size of  partitions.   If
       you  wish  to  enlarge  a  filesystem, you must first make sure you can
       expand the size of the underlying partition first.

Thanks in advance.
Gianluca