What is the fascination with 'spins'

James Hubbard jameshubbard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 15:38:09 UTC 2007

On 2/5/07, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 20:19:45 +0000,
>   "monty19@ hotmail.com" <monty19 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I think having separate ISO images for Desktop, Developer,
> > Server, KDE, and whatever else is a pretty silly idea.  It's one of the
> > main reasons I don't like Ubuntu.  I run Fedora on a system I would
>
> I think it is a bit early to declare custom spins a silly idea. Even if it
> doesn't turn out to be that useful for Fedora directly, there is a potential
> for it to be useful for third parties. I think making it easy to define
> custom spins is an interesting experiment and that we will need to wait a
> bit before we find out whether or not it is a really useful feature or not.

Indeed, they're not silly.  One of the projects that I have worked on
, we created custom FC5 installation DVDs for a lab environment that
had all of the software that we needed including updated packages.
It's very useful ability.

However, as I stated in another thread.  It needs to be obvious what
CD/DVD has the developer tools.  There are many people that cannot
access yum repos because they're in a location that cannot access the
Internet.  Having someone create a custom spin is not always possible
when the one receiving it is many miles away.   (There's always snail
mail.)

Don't get me wrong.  I think that it's a good idea to have these
user/task specific spins.  I do think that you should have one that
has "everything".

--
James Hubbard