What is the fascination with 'spins'

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Feb 5 16:49:00 UTC 2007

On Monday 05 February 2007 11:33, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
> However, I come from the other side of this. I want a single CD
> (preferred)/DVD where I can boot it and it will help me setup and
> install, but download all the packages I selected directly off the net
> if they are updated or off the media if they are not, perhaps this is
> what the live CD does and if so, great. Nothing more annoying to me,
> than to install a new OS and then download 500+MB of patches. Why
> couldn't it just get the current stuff to begin with? Normally when I
> install Fedora, I don't select anything optional to install [desktop
> apps (ie OO), dev tools, etc] and then after I am up and running I start
> installing those items off the net.  But I come from a POV where
> bandwidth is unlimited and fast.

There is a design flaw/bug somewhere in how rpm/yum interacts with iso media
(CD, DVD, NFS ISO) that prevents being able to enable updates correctly at
install time.

However if you start with say boot.iso and point to a network install point
(exploaded tree, not nfs iso), then you can add the updates repos during the
install and only the new packages will be installed.  We're working to make
this a smoother experience, but it will take time.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora