What is the fascination with 'spins'

James Hubbard jameshubbard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 16:33:33 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 08:19, James Hubbard wrote:
> > The process for creating custom "spins" needs to be as easy as
> > possible. We finally got the process for creating FC5 "spins"
> > automated after a few days of effort. Whatever is created for "spins"
> > needs to be easy to use and work for multiple version releases. For
> > example, I want to be able to create a Fedora 9 or 10 spin on my
> > Fedora 7 box that contains the files.
>
> Virtually impossible unless you make use of mock on the system to create a
> chroot with the appropriate release packages to do the spin.

You mean that if I download all of the packages from a mirror I could
not put together a "spin" without having already installed the version
that I want?

That doesn't make sense to me.  Could someone explain why? The only
reason that I can come up with is the release that I'm using can't
understand the package information.

--
James Hubbard
http://soweva.blogspot.com