emacs 22

Leo sdl.web at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 19:33:07 UTC 2007

On 2007-02-08, Leif Hedstrom said:

> Jonathan Corbet wrote:
>> Interesting...today's update brought in the emacs 22 pretest snapshot.
>> This is OK with me - I've been building my own version for a little bit
>> now.  But I do find it curious, given that emacs 22 final before the
>> Fedora 7 release seems, um, unlikely.  There are certain things in
>> emacs 22 (gnus being the main example) which do not go back to
>> version
>> 21 in any sort of graceful way.  Does anybody know why this went in now?
>>
> Hmmm, I'm having all sorts of problems with this version.  :) For
> starters, if I try to resize the Emacs window, it hangs my X11
> server, and it has to be restarted. This doesn't happen with any
> other windows, just Emacs.

Never happens here.

> There's also a lot of minor things that's not working, like "space"
>is no longer (by default) bound to do autocompletion in Find-File (I
>know, I can turn that on).

The NEWS file tells you how to get back to the old obsolete behavior.

>But what's more annoying is that none of my "local variables"
>comments I have at the end of source files to configure Mode settings
>(like, C-mode) works. This is actually a "show stopper" for me,
>anyone know why this isn't working, and how I can get get it
>functional again?

It works all the time for me. But look at the manual
(info "(emacs)Specifying File Variables")

> I'd actually prefer to downgrade to Emacs v21 at this point, is
> there an easy way to do that with yum?

Certainly. Fedora core 6 and 5 have only Emacs 21.

> Cheers,
>
> -- Leif

If every thing are compatible they would just call it 21.5. Of course
it takes time getting used to regarding that 21 was released on
October 28, 2001.

But please try to look at the huge NEWS file (224k) in
data-directory. It will certainly help with some of your questions.

This is a good move and we should stick to it.