after 20070215 changes failure to boot

Jay Cliburn jacliburn at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 17 18:02:33 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:27:11 -0700
Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 07:40:38PM -0600, Jay Cliburn wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if you're hitting this bug:
> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/2/12/292
>
> Jay most likely is right.  I do have "VIA VT6420 SATA RAID
> Controller" so if this is the first FC-devel kernel hit by buggy
> "conversion to resource-managed iomap" then quite likely this is it.
>
> In http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/2/12/319 Tejun Heo asks for a
> verification with VT6421 controller.  As it happens I have VT6420
> and this was already checked (http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/2/12/305).

I did some testing this morning on my Via box that contains a VT8237A
SATA controller (pci_id 1106:0591).  The 2932 fc7 kernel wouldn't boot,
just like reported by Michal and others.

I rebuilt the 2932 fc7 kernel package with Tejun Heo's patch at
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/2/12/292 applied, and am now able to boot the
2932 kernel.

I'll send a message to lkml.

Jay