Fighting the i386 plague

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jan 22 21:20:48 UTC 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 16:09, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Can anybody tell me why it wants to pull in the i386 version of
> gutenprint to replace the x86_64 version of gimp-print-utils?  Is there
> any way to convince it not to do things like that?

By default, if you ask yum to install <package>  and <package>.i386 +
<package>.x86_64 are available, you'll get them both.  (same for other
arches, like ppc/ppc64)  This is so that multilib Just Works and you don't
have to think about it.  Those that DO think about it and concienciously
decide to NOT use that feature of their processor can add "exclude=*.i?86"
to /etc/yum.conf, as well as yum remove \*.i?86.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora