Fedora version update without ISOs

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jun 9 18:21:52 UTC 2007

David Mack <dmack <at> juniper.net> writes:
> yum tried to replace (up2date and 4Suite, to name a couple.) Nuking
> these older packages with rpm -e eventually got me to the point at which
> all of the F7 packages were downloaded and installed, probably 8-10 "yum
> update;rpm -e" iterations. This may be the toughest problem in cleaning
> up this process - either a change to anaconda or a separate tool is
> needed that can compare installed packages against a specific release
> and let the user decide which things to eliminate.

There is such a tool, it's called APT-RPM. :-) apt-get dist-upgrade will
automatically remove packages with broken dependencies and no upgrade path. Or
in some cases it may hold back some packages instead, but then you can
explicitly force "apt-get install packagename" to get the held back packages
updated (removing those which now have broken dependencies), unless the new
packages are the ones with broken dependencies (which shouldn't actually
happen, but sometimes broken dependencies sneak in, in which case you have to
wait for a fixed package).

        Kevin Kofler