yum and broken deps

Tim Lauridsen tla at rasmil.dk
Wed Mar 14 19:56:04 UTC 2007

oldman wrote:

> Jim Cornette wrote:

>>> oldman wrote:

>> It shouldn't matter which comes first. It seems to me that the plugin is
>> easily confused though.  It's my recollection that the error messages
>> left by the plugin make it much easier to build the --exclude line as it
>> has always been that some program already installed will break due to
>> the program waiting to be installed that throws the error. OTOH a
>> program that can't meet its dependencies will be skipped properly.  It
>> might be that the plugin is not acting properly though - I may do some
>> looking for docs & maybe file a BZ unless someone does it first.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>>> I was thinking that the -- followed by the parameter would not matter
>>> for order.
>>>
>>> I didn't have any luck with the plugin and resorted to the script that
>>> Dave posted a long while back to update the system. The strange thing
>>> is that after letting the script update the remaining packages,
>>> (Mostly gnome)the remaining packages were ALL installed. Running yum
>>> with or without the --skip-broken parameter would fail to complete
>>> successfully.
>>>
>>> All rpms are installed from development now.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> I think the problem with yum and the skip-broken resides because of
>> these dep errors put out by package-cleanup. Why the packages all
>> installed with a one by one script is confusing to me though.
>>

>>  package-cleanup --problems
>> Setting up yum
>> Reading local RPM database
>> Processing all local requires
>> Missing dependencies:
>> Package gnome-applets requires libgucharmap.so.5
>> Package frysk requires libgcj.so.7rh
>>

>> locate libgucharmap.so
>> /usr/lib/libgucharmap.so.6
>> /usr/lib/libgucharmap.so.6.0.1
>>

>> locate libgcj.so
>> /usr/lib/libgcj.so.8rh
>> /usr/lib/libgcj.so.8rh.0.0
>>

>> Jim
>>
> Maybe you just got lucky, as I am currently upgrading gucharmap and
> libgcj (and the new versions of frysk and gnome-applets too!)and I used
> the yum --skip-broken.
> The yum plugin seems to work quite a bit faster for me, but I'm still
> not convinced it's properly excluding some packages that it should and
> at least 2 packages it has seriously broken yum to the point that yum
> threw a python exception.
>
> Scott

I have just checked in a smarter edition of the skip-broken plugin in
yum-utils upstream CVS.
The output from the plugin is now much better.

I you want to test it you can grab it here.
http://devel.linux.duke.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/yum-utils/plugins/skip-broken/

Just copy the .py file to /usr/lib/yum-plugins and the .conf to
/etc/yum/plugin.conf.d

Tim