Re: rawhide-20070502 live images

On 5/3/07, Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> wrote:
Jeremy Katz <katzj <at> redhat.com> writes:
> Note that the x86_64 images require DVD media,

Or a CD-R99 if your CD writer supports that. The KDE image is 849963008 bytes,
a CD-R90 is ~824832000 bytes (i.e. NOT enough, it can fit the GNOME image at
819398656 bytes though), a CD-R99 is ~920829952 bytes (but most CD writers
don't support that up to full capacity). (I put those ~ signs there because the
actual capacities can vary, especially with non-standard formats like
CD-R90/99.) It would be nice to keep these sizes in mind too when
adding/removing packages.

Or one could cheap out on the error checking and burn in Mode 2/XA mode, which
fits the GNOME iso on a regular CD-R80 and the KDE one on a CD-R90 (possibly
even an overburned CD-R80). But I'm not sure that's a good idea.

I've been using mini-DVD-RW to burn the ISOs on. Lots of space, small
enough to easily fit in your pocket and fairly cheap (now that a lot
of video recorders use them). When a new test ISO comes along, I just
erase it and reburn the new image. Seems to even boot on some
CD/DVD-ROM drives where bootable CDRs don't work.

/Mike