standard "xwininfo" not installed by FC7T4

ron flory ron.flory at adtran.com
Tue May 8 19:46:44 UTC 2007

Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 08:58 -0500, ron flory wrote:
>> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>> Whats wrong with just installing them when you need them ?
>>   If X is installed, xwininfo should be installed.  I can't
>> be the only person who does this sort of thing...
>
> Given that you're the first person to complain about it in the entirety
> of the F7 cycle, you may well be the only person.

  Sorry- I wasn't really complaining,  Just wondering if there
was a definite reason for its removal or a better alternative
that replaced it.

>>   xwininfo is a tiny prog and was installed in support of X
>> by all previous RH and FC distros I can remember (since before
>> RH 4).  Why remove it now?
>
> Benign neglect.

  That was my guess.

> The set of packages the contain the stock command line utilities for X
> were sort of handwaved into existence.  We don't really know what set of
> them get used on any regular basis, but we pretty strongly suspect most
> of them never get used.  See above.  I mean, we installed texteroids in
> every RHL, RHEL <= 4, and FC <= 4, but that doesn't mean it was ever
> necessary or appreciated.

  I use xwininfo after every Linux install on every machine to setup
the X window managers as I don't use either Gnome or KDE.  Its also
helpful when debugging X setup issues on fresh installs (probably
hundreds of times now).

> Personally I don't care either way.  I don't think most of
> xorg-x11-utils gets used enough to be worth installing by default, but I
> also wouldn't object if it were.

  The x11-utils are kind of like textutils, one just assumes the
traditional tools will be there when you need them on any *nix
platform one encounters, just as one knows some flavor of vi will
probably be there as well.

  I vote to leave the x11-utils in, please.

  Thanks.

ron