Install gives BSOD on Thinkpad T60p

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Tue May 22 05:48:20 UTC 2007

Jim Cornette wrote:

> You might specify which video driver that you want to use for the
> installation with xdriver=vesa (Or ati,sis,i810 ....)
> I had to use this option once when my card type did not register during
> the installer phase. (My case was for an SIS video)
>
> Jim

Can't get networking or USBstick working, so this is as best as I can
transcribe:

xdriver=ati produced the same blue screen, but /tmp/ramfs/X.log was
different.  In all other cases there were lots of errors (including the
final error) about missing fonts and font paths.  Using this option,
I see warnings of:
No monitor specified for screen "Anaconda"
The core pointer device wasn't specified explicitly in the layout
The core keyboard device wasn't specified explicitly in the layout
No FontPath specified
FontPath set to:
	unix/:7100,
	built0ins
Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket)

glx was loaded
AIGLX was enabled
FreeType loades, Type1 loaded
dri failed to load (libdrm.so.2: no such file or directory)
ATI loaded
R128 loaded
RADEON loaded

The end of the file jas:
(II) Primary device is; PIC 01:00:0
(II) ATI:  Candidate "Device" section "Videocard0"
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error
no screens found

xdriver=vesa produced the same blue screen.
/tmp/ramfs/X.log ends in the same "DRI module not loaded" and "could not
open default font 'fixed'".

xdriver=sis
This one said it couldn't start x, then I ended up with a text screen
offering text mode install or start vnc.
/tmp/ramfs/X.log ends with
(EE) No device detected.
Which is expected, since this isn't a Sis card.

xdriver=i810
same as sis

Tomorrow, I'm going to attempt to put together a web page with all the
data  I've gathered in response to all of the responses I've gotten, but
I hope this helps.

Thanks for your assistance.