Install gives BSOD on Thinkpad T60p

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Wed May 23 00:29:11 UTC 2007

Adam Jackson wrote:

>>> You certainly have.  Thank ATI for making it impossible to support your
>>> chip properly.
>>>
>>> - ajax
>>>
>> I have a T60p (2007-AD1) working with FC6. To install I used the vesa
>> driver and also had to specific noacpi to get it installed after that I
>> updated the kernel and it works fine after that. The F7t4 live CD works
>> for me on the machine. Once you have it working you can use the unholy
>> fglrx driver to get the video support you want. Install with vesa, get
>> the machine up and working (ignore the screen problems until you get the
>> fglrx driver up and running).
>
> Like I said.  Not supported properly.

And, if I'm not mistaken, the 2007-series don't have 16:10 15.4"
screens, but a 4:3 14" screen with a different video card.  In fact the
2007 series is one of the series they claim are "Linux-compatible".
Unfortunately, every "Linux-compatible" model they sell has a smaller
screen and/or slower processor.  I'm looking for a beefy desktop
replacement.

Yes, they show so little imagination that there are almost completely
different laptops all called T60p.  This is how I ended up buying one
after all my weeks of research only to find it won't work.

I decided today to return it.  I just got the RMA number.  I'll have to
eat 15% restocking fee AND shipping, but if it don't work with Linux, it
don't work for me.

I'm recapturing the output to send to Bugzilla, then I'm packing it up
again.  Probably buying a Dell, and getting it in less than a week
instead of more than a month.