Weird fsck

Yesterday while booting up a new OS (Athlon 64 X2 kernel 2.6.21-1.3189.fc7), the root ext3 partition had been mounted 20 time and the system said a check was required. It failed with an uncorrectable error. I tried it again and again it failed and dropped me into a shell prompt. I know there should not be any error. So, I booted into FC6 which ran the check on the partition when booting.. It passed OK. Rebooting into FC7 booted up OK. Is this some sort of voodoo magic or is there some reason for this weird fsck error???

Jim