Panasonic CF-52 (Radeon X2100), and xorg does not work with F8T3

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 14:25:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 17:26 -0500, Todd Denniston wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote, On 10/30/2007 08:53 AM:
> > On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 18:06 -0500, Todd Denniston wrote:
> >> Folks,
> >> we just tried an install on a Panasonic CF-52 (TOUGHBOOK laptop) using an ATI
> >> Radeon X2100.
> >> 1) had to install in text mode because X is just black screen.
> >> 2) after install startx results in the same situation. (consistency is nice)
> >> 3) by default xorg.conf is pointing at vesa instead of an ati driver, so it
> >> does not do a PCI scan, it just hangs at a black screen.
> >
> > The 'ati' driver in F8 does not support R600 chips.  You have an R600
> > chip.  It ain't gonna work.
>
> Adam,
> You did mean that the ati driver that comes with the xorg in the F8 distro
> would not work, but that the fglrx from livna has a chance to work right????

I meant that the ati driver would not work.

It's a fair assesment that at any given point in time I never know
whether fglrx will or won't work, and that whenever I make statements
about what works in Fedora I am not talking about what happens to work
this week with a closed source driver.  I have a hard enough time fixing
the bugs I get in the code I _have_ to worry about bugs in software I'm
physically incapable of fixing.

> Is there any hope to be had that when you do the disruption[1] there will be
> some support for the R600 chips?

radeonhd is in rawhide.  It may or may not work after the rebase.  We'll
find out!

- ajax